I may not know the names of all the muscles I shredded yesterday, but I know their precise locations and can feel their smallest contributions to movement . #ow
Altogether I did 120 slams, 120 push-ups, and 120 squat jumps (4 timed sets of 30 reps). This was a wake up call after two weeks of injury rest.
Training recap time! Long story short, distance running is back in my routine and my last two training sessions made me wonder if the gym staff would be offended when I unapologetically puked on their nice wooden floor. I added magnesium into my daily supplement regimen to convince my muscles I don’t really want them to die.
- Lunge walks with a 25lb plate, starting with the weight center and dropping it to the side and curling back up with each lunge. My arms are w-e-a-k
- Broad jumps hugging a 16lb slam ball, then alternating broad jumps and actual slams
- FIFTEEN minutes on the upside down Bosu Ball with a 25lb plate, alternating plate placement at chest level, stomach level, out in front, right side, left side
- Plank seal walk with slide plates; sumo squat jumps with 16lb slam ball 10x; slam ball 10x; plank seal walk back
- Bosu ball: balance on one leg with 25lb plate, step off to opposite leg and balance on floor
- Jump rope 30 seconds (no misses), paired with
- Speed stripper squat jumps (TRX assisted) for 60 seconds
- Weighted raised split leg ab crunches
And my trainer wants me to score two goals in one game this week. Wish me luck!
(a follow up to Text to Vent)
Last week Tuesday I left the gym fairly devastated. Austin guided me through what seemed like a simple workout for balance:
- Aerobic Step Squat Jumps (On/Off Quick Touch)
- Kettlebell Squat Jumps (Quick Touch)
- Bosu Ball
- One leg static, the other swinging to mimic a soccer shot (15 seconds)
- Medicine ball toss back, two legs on, lift to one leg while ball is in the air, set it down as ball is caught, throw back and switch legs
- Push Ups & Plank Drags
…but that Bosu Ball made me its #1 Bitch and unfortunately my frustration with the experience followed me through the rest of the week. Despite my terrible attitude, I went back to the gym, nailed my 15 seconds of balance, developed some arm/core strength and even practiced broad jumps. They came in very handy for this week’s stability workout:
- Single Foot Bosu Balance w/opposing kettlebell
- Bosu 10 second step over, crossing behind
- Jump Rope
- Agility Ladder with resistance band
- shuffle outwide
- zig zag to corners
- wide stance broad jumps
- Ball control (6lb med ball) – in and out with alternating feet
- Calf balance with slam ball press
- Calf wall balance dominant stance with slam ball
Still falling off the Bosu ball but I have a better attitude about it and I know I’ll nail it by the weekend. Absolutely love the variety in my workouts and I’m starting to see a noticeable difference in my body now!
It’s official: my first week of training was light. I got bored with the workout pretty quickly but my rowing form is much improved.
Today Austin asked if I was ready, then asked again after I said yes. (The answer was still yes, but I guess he wanted me to prove it or something). We added 100,000 squats and a bunch of other fun stuff. I don’t remember all the details so here’s what I think I did:
- Rowing 5 min
- Trx assisted lunge jumps followed by a shoulder width squat (3 sets, 8 reps)
- Overhead 12 lb weighted ball throws at the wall with a squat retrieve (3 sets, 12 reps)
- Agility ladder! And a LOT of it. I don’t rememember sets and reps but it lasted pretty much forever until Austin got distracted by…
- Broad jumps (so many embarrassingly short jumps. Austin kept telling me to relax but I was telling my body it can fly through the air when it knows damn well it shouldn’t)
- Trx assisted sumo squat to shoulder width squat to stripper squat (3 sets, 8 reps)
- Ab work: double leg lift & hold, flutter kicks, scissor kicks, double leg lift & hold with resistance
- Medicine ball toe touches, not looking (3 sets, 25 each leg)
- 10 minute jog
Wowsers. Stairs are a little more challenging after that workout! No soccer tonight, but I’ll probably finish out the day with some yoga.
Happy Fitnessing out there.