Happy Weekend, Everyone!
I love weekends for two reasons: Soccer & Football.
Friday nights I play defensive midfield for my Indoor Co-Ed Soccer team. Even the most casual spectator watching us flounder around on the field would have to agree that we play “Soccer”, which is a far cry from traditional Outdoor Soccer, which is an even farther cry from traditional Football. My intense love for the latter drives me to play and I enjoy every single minute I spend out on that artificial field.
Football – specifically British Premier League – rounds out the rest of my weekend, providing we’re not on International Break. I’m a Gooner, a die-hard fan of the Arsenal Football Club. I love watching the Gunners play; I turn down all manner of social invites to stay in and watch them play. I refuse to even answer the door anymore if someone knocks during the match.
One could argue Soccer & Football are one and the same, but in my American mind there are some very important distinctions:
- I play Soccer and watch Football
- Soccer is a game; Football is a match
- Soccer is played on a field; Football is played on a pitch
- Soccer players wear flats or cleats; Football players wear boots
- Soccer is generally viewed as “meh” whereas Football has support all over the world
There are similarities too:
- Soccer & Football are happening this weekend
- I love them both fiercely
- Both are making me a better player
- My addiction to one fuels the other
- My friends are sick of hearing me talk about them
All Hail The Weekend.